Gearing up for some winter road trips? Here are some of our favorite U.S. winter destinations, for the people who love the snow and the people looking to escape it.
Winter Travel Destinations
If you love a winter wonderland, these winter vacation ideas are for you:
- Boulder, Colorado: A skier’s paradise and home to gorgeous snowy mountain views. Try some winter sports or curl up with a hot drink and enjoy the peaceful nature! Boulder is one of the classic winter holiday destinations that never disappoints.
- Leavenworth, Washington: A charming Bavarian town that gets even more magical around Christmas time. One of the best places to visit in December, Leavenworth glows with more than half a million lights each year! Find your holiday entertainment in this quaint and memorable town.
- Joshua Tree National Park, California: If you’re on the fence about hot or cold weather, take a trip to explore Joshua Tree! Daytime temperatures are on the mild side, but you’re still likely to see some snow and catch that winter feeling.
- Lake Tahoe, Nevada: A scenic lakeside town full of winter charm. Hit the slopes or the spas—or both! Get your thrills with adventure sports or at the casino, then relax and enjoy the incredible forest views.
- New York City, New York: Is any list of places to visit in winter complete without NYC? Head here for urban charm, dazzling cityscapes, and endless winter fun!
Warm Winter Vacations in the USA
Looking for some sun? We’ve got you covered, too! Here are some warm places to visit in December, or any time of the year!
- Walton County, Florida: Head south for the winter and soak up the sun in enchanting Walton County. Rosemary Beach and the surrounding historic sights, white sand, and turquoise waters will have you forgetting you’re in winter at all.
- Kauai, Hawaii: One of the most scenic places in the U.S. in any season, Kauai is a warm and inviting winter getaway. Enjoy the sun, sand, and sea for one of the best winter vacations.
- Southern California: Kick back in always-sunny San Diego, or catch all the star-studded sights in Los Angeles! You’ll avoid the winter snow and get to see beautiful tourist spots in the off-season. Win-win!
Here at Scenic America, we value our country’s scenic beauty—blue space, green space, and all—and want to see it persist. We work to preserve and promote our scenic byways, landscapes, and towns that define our nation’s visual character. Read about our principles of conservation, see what we accomplished in 2021, or sign up for our newsletter to stay up-to-date on our work and how you can help.
Scenic America’s mission is to preserve and enhance the visual character and scenic beauty of America. Donate today to help us protect our beautiful places and the heart of our country’s character!