New Year, New Opportunities to Connect with Nature
The beginning of the year is a great time to make changes in your life and dedicate yourself to the things you value most. If you’re thinking about New Year’s resolutions that involve health, travel, or environmental awareness or support, we’ve got some ideas to help! Read on for our best recommendations.
Healthy New Year’s Resolutions
New Year’s resolutions related to health are some of the most popular New Year’s resolutions—and for good reason! When you’re doing your new year goal setting, make health a priority and focus on feeling good in the coming year. Here are some resolution ideas for a healthier new year:
- Get in shape. Whatever that means for you! Every individual is different, so good health looks different on everyone. Set New Year’s fitness resolutions that cater to your own needs, limitations, and lifestyle. Get in shape to run a 5k. Work up to hiking a particular mountain this year. Build your strength with lifting, yoga, or rowing.
- Establish an exercise routine. Working out regularly is great for your health! Make a resolution to work out X times a week for X minutes, or to do a particular exercise on certain days. Making exercise into a habit is one of the best ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Fad diets aren’t the answer for losing weight in a healthy way, but focusing on consuming more fruits and vegetables is a great way to go. Eating healthier, more nutritious food can improve your health, boost your mood, and lower your risk of chronic disease.
- Meditate. Mental health is an integral part of your overall health, so don’t neglect it! Meditating, creating a gratitude journal, and disconnecting from technology are all excellent resolutions for mental health.
New Year’s Resolutions for Travel
Use these resolution ideas as inspiration for developing your travel-related New Year’s resolutions!
- Visit every National Park in your state.
- Visit every Scenic Byway in your state.
- Visit relatives you haven’t seen in a while.
- Take photographs in America’s most scenic places.
- Plan a summer road trip.
Eco-Friendly New Year’s Resolutions
Taking steps to protect our beautiful environment is a fantastic goal for the new year—and anytime! Here are some environmentally-minded new year goals:
- Volunteer with environmental organizations.
- Donate to organizations that promote conservation.
- Learn about environmental issues like types of pollution and spread awareness.
- Shop sustainable clothing instead of fast fashion.
- Reduce plastic use.
- Participate in a park or beach clean-up.
- Help plant more trees.
Good luck with your goals this year, and from all of us at Scenic America, Happy New Year!
Here at Scenic America, we value our country’s scenic beauty and want to see it persist. We work to preserve the Scenic Byways, landscapes, and towns that define our nation’s visual character. Donate today to help us protect our beautiful places and the heart of our country’s character!