Click one of the areas below to be taken to other program pages.
- Back to Scenic Pittsburgh Programming
- Scenic Asset Inventory
- Greenspace Restoration
- Community Beautification Projects
- Scenic Pittsburgh Awards
Zoning. Zoning is the most powerful tool most communities have to preserve their scenic assets, prevent blight and asset destruction, and encourage development for a scenic future. We offer advice to any organization, individual or community on how to effectively update your zoning code, or create a new one, that reflects your community’s scenic values. We also offer counsel on how to handle zoning disputes.
Billboards. Billboards have a hugely negative effect on communities – reducing property values and scenic beauty. We are regional leaders in understanding the negative impact of billboards on scenic values, and how communities can protect themselves from multi-billion-dollar billboard companies. We offer advice on how to handle billboard disputes – and avoid them.
We subscribe to two main philosophies when developing solutions to scenic issues:
- Legislation before litigation: Scenic Pittsburgh encourages community leaders to be proactive in combating scenic issues. Having laws and plans in place is the best way for a community to control their scenic environment.
- Beauty is good for business, human health, and the environment. Ultimately visual blight negatively impacts every aspect of the vitality of a community, and prevents community development and recovery.
Services we offer:
- Direct consultation with civic leaders and public officials regarding scenic policy
- Education regarding the benefits scenic conservation to community groups, civic leaders, and policy makers
- Community organizing around scenic conservation issues
- Model legislation for signage control, tree cutting, scenic byways, scenic easements and view protection, telecommunications towers and utility wires, and light and sound pollution
We offer more in-depth services for a fee, or through custom partnerships with local nonprofits in order to secure grants. If you, or your community, needs support regarding zoning, a scenic asset or deficiency, please contact Scenic Pittsburgh’s Assistant Director, David Demko, by email or by phone at 412-478-1621.